I've experimented with ingredient combinations and have come up with a favourite Thermomix risotto recipe. The cooking instructions are from the EDC cookbook- just the ingredients have been changed to the way I like them.
I've listed this in my 'vegetarian' category because it's easy to eliminate the bacon. Just skip that step!
In this recipe I use home made, gut-health-boosting, rich and divine bone broth/stock. I know the TM stock concentrate is easy and convenient to use, but I think bone broth tastes better, and is much better for you too. If you're going for the vegetarian option, you would need to use the vegie stock concentrate, or a vegie liquid stock.
As for the parmesan, I use a hard sheep cheese such as pecorino or manchego as I tend to tolerate this better than a dairy cheese such as parmesan. The butter at the end is optional, for a lovely rich flavor, but not necessary if you don't eat dairy.
If you're avoiding additives, make sure you buy organic wine, and preferably one that doesn't use preservatives. As for the variety of wine to use: I'm not a chardonnay drinker usually, but I love it in this, and the remaining 550ml that doesn't go in the dish goes down really well as an accompaniment when you're eating it (if there's any left after you've 'just tried a little' while cooking!).
- 200g bacon (preferably organic, sulfate free), diced
- 60g cheese- sheep pecorino, manchego, or traditional parmesan, cut into cubes
- 1 large brown onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 x 10cm sprigs fresh rosemary, hard stalks removed (thyme would also be nice)
- 30g coconut oil (or butter if you prefer)
- 400g Arborio rice (risotto rice)
- 200g white wine (see note above)
- 1litre/ 1000g bone broth (chicken, beef, lamb, or vegie stock if you prefer. If using concentrate, use 3 tablespoons concentrate and 1litre water)
- 200g fresh field mushrooms, diced
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 20g butter for serving (optional)
- Extra parmesan for serving (optional)
- Cook the diced bacon in a pan over high heat, stirring regularly, until a nice caramalisation has occurred. Add oil to pan before cooking if necessary (I find in my cast iron pan that the fat of the bacon itself is enough). Turn of heat and set aside.
- Place cheese into TM bowl and chop 10 sec /speed 9. Set aside. Don't bother cleaning the bowl.
- Place onion, garlic and rosemary into
the bowl and chop 3 sec / speed 7. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add oil and sauté 3 mins /Varoma/speed 1
- Insert butterfly. Add rice and wine and sauté 2 mins / 100degrees / reverse / speed 1.
- Add broth/stock and mushrooms and cooked bacon (reserve a little bacon for garnish, if desired) and cook 16 mins / 100degrees / reverse / speed 1.
- The consistancy at this point will still be a little 'soupy'. Remove butterfly.
- Transfer into ThermoServer, add salt and pepper to taste and stir through the reserved cheese and butter (if using).
- Allow to rest for at least five minutes prior to serving. The longer it sits, the more liquid is absorbed. Serve garnished with extra shaved cheese and reserved bacon.