After just having posted my home made fish and chips recipe, I realised that no fish and chips is complete without a good Tartare Sauce. This is another dish that I usually throw together without a recipe. I shall attempt to write down what I do, but feel free to add and subtract as you wish. For example, if you don't have (or don't like) capers, just add some salt. If you don't like gherkins/pickles, leave them out. If you like it runnier, add more lemon juice.
I have never found a store bought Tartare that I like more than my home made version. You can whip it up in 5 minutes while the fish and chips are in the oven...give it a go!
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise (gluten and dairy free)
- 1 teaspoon dijon or wholegrain mustard
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 gherkin/cornichon (small pickle), very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, very finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- about a tablespoon of fresh or dried herbs such as chives, dill or parsley (my personal favourite is fresh chives and dried dill)
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined. Serve with seafood or potato wedges.
- Will refrigerate well for at least a couple of weeks.