It has occured to me that my blog is so far a little biased towards sweet treats...probably because I am too! But it's time to start posting some more yummy, savoury, friendly dishes for your enjoyment. Introducing Preserved Lemon Chicken...barbequed chicken pieces covered with an easy but incredibly full of flavour marinade. All ingredients go in a food processor, get slapped on the chicken and popped in the fridge till ready to cook. All you need on the side is a bit of salad, or some corn cobs done alongside the chicken on the BBQ. Mashed potato would also work nicely.
- 4 quarters of preserved lemon (or equivalent of one whole preserved lemon)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (if I don't have fresh lemons on hand I use a couple of spoonfuls of the liquid that the preserved lemons are sitting in)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika (or use hot paprika if you want a spicy bite to your marinade)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper.
- A couple of handfuls of your herb of choice. The original recipe I used had coriander in it, but I've also made this with oregano and chives, or rosemary.
- 1 kg free range chicken breasts or thighs
Remove the pulp from the preserved lemon, keeping only the skins, and wash thoroughly. Place all ingredients (except chicken) in a food processor and blend until smooth (it makes a thick marinade, not a runny one).