This is the kind of soup that you make on a lazy day at home when you'll be around for a few hours. You don't need to be watching it the whole time, but it takes about 3 hours all together.
- A few big splashes of olive oil (about 4 Tablespoons)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 ham hocks or a large Christmas ham bone (about 1 .5 kilos total)
- 3 medium sized carrots, roughly chopped
- 750 g dried green split peas
- 360 g (3 cups) frozen baby green peas, defrosted
Heat the oil in a large stock pot over low-medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until tender (about 10 minutes). Add ham hocks or bones, cover with cold water (about 4 litres), bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook until ham is falling from the bone (1 - 1 .5 hours).
Remove the bones from saucepan, set aside to cool and, when cool enough to handle, remove skin and bone, coarsely shred meat and set aside.