This week has seen the first of our it's- definitely- becoming- winter weather here in NSW. I don't drink coffee, and I don't often partake in hot drinks at all (yes, inconceivable to some people, I know). But in this chilly, windy weather, there are some afternoons when I'm heading to dinner time and get a little pang of hunger that I enjoy filling the gap with some hot chocolate. I have a really simple 'recipe' that I make myself rather than partaking in the pre-made mixes that are full of ridiculous amounts of sugar, and usually dairy milk and other unpleasant additives and flavours. My version is dairy free and refined-sugar free, tastes great and is even Fair Trade- so it's Friendly for everybody!
You can add your sweetener to your own taste. My hubby actually drinks his straight, with no sweetener at all. But then he also used to be addicted to double shot espresso's. My palate doesn't handle that kind of bitterness, so I use a couple of teaspoons of sweet stuff. My kids like a little more!
Ingredients and Method:
- Boil 2/3 cup of water per person.
- Place a heaped teaspoon of Fair Trade pure cocoa or cacao powder into a mug
- Pour boiling water over powder till cup is 2/3 full, and stir until completely dissolved
- Fill remaining volume of mug with milk of choice (I prefer almond, but you can use soy, rice or organic dairy whole milk)
- Add two teaspoons of honey, pure maple syrup or agave syrup (or amount to your own taste)
- If you prefer your hot chocolate to be based on milk alone, then place a cup of milk and a teaspoon of cocoa per person into a saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring regularly. Pour into mugs and stir in sweetener to taste.