These are a wonderful gluten and dairy free cupcake, full of the goodness of coconut and absolutely scrumptious fresh from the oven. I've served them for dessert, with heated fruit-juice-sweetened strawberry jam as a 'topping', and they also freeze really well to add to school/ work lunch boxes later on. As usual, I make a double batch (acutally, with this one I usually make a triple batch!) so there are plenty for later.
This recipe is originally from Nothing Naughty, and is quite similar to the original- only a couple of changes to the oil, milk and sugar!!
- 125mls of coconut oil (or a nut based oil like almond or macadamia if you don't have coconut)
- 125mls of milk of choice- almond, soy, rice (or dairy if you're able)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract or paste
- 220grams gluten-free plain flour mix (or spelt flour if you don't have to be gluten-free)
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) rapadura sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic dessicated coconut, plus1 tablespoon reserved for dusting
- 1/2 cup of fruit-juice-sweetened (sugar free) strawberry jam
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup coconut with a large spoon.
- In a separte bowl or jug, whisk together the oil, milk, eggs and vanilla
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together with a large spoon until just combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, place one scoop of mixture into each paper case.
- Optional, if using jam: Using the back of a teaspoon, make a deep well in the centre of each scoop of mixture, and fill with about a teaspoon of jam.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a skewer pushed through the centre comes out clean (you'll have to go in through the side to avoid hitting the jam). Sprinkle the reserved coconut on the top.