- 2 cups uncooked rice (I use Basmati as it has one of the lowest GI's of any rice, for a more stable energy release through the morning)
- 1/4 cup raw honey or pure maple syrup (you could also try rice malt syrup or coconut sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or paste
- 2 x 400ml cans (or 3 x 270ml cans, or just over 3 cups total) coconut milk
- 2 cups other milk (rice, almond, oat, dairy)
- 3 large strips of citrus peel (lemon or orange)- just use a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- Rinse and drain the rice a few times to remove excess starch.
- Combine all ingredients except the rice in a large saucepan, and whisk until smooth. Stir in the rice.
- With the lid on the saucepan, bring to the boil over high heat and immediately reduce the heat to as low as possible. Simmer, covered, for up to half an hour (this will vary depending on your stove top and how quickly the liquid absorbs).
- Stir it occasionally to check that the rice is not sticking to the bottom.
- Simmer until there is no liquid bubbling away on top of the rice, but there is still PLENTY of moisture left around the rice. Take it off the heat when there is still a little more moisture than the final consistency you want, as it will keep absorbing moisture even after you take it off the heat.
- Cool for a few minutes. Remove the citrus peel. Serve warm, sprinkled with a little extra nutmeg or cinnamon, and drizzle with a little extra honey if desired.
- If reheating left overs, you may need to add a little more milk.
Please let me know if you make this and what you think!
If you would like to receive email notification of when I post new recipes on this blog, please send me an email with the word 'subscribe' in the subject.
Don't forget to join my Facebook community for lots of extra Friendly information and informative conversations, or find me on Pinterest @ FriendlyFood 4u.