I use this as 'icing' on Carrot Cake Muffins and Banana Cake, as filling between Gluten Free Shortbread Cookies, as a dip for sliced apple and pear pieces (a great morning or afternoon tea snack). And I've recently made a killer ice cream with this cashew cream stirred through it!
- 1 cup cashews (preferably raw, but roasted works too)
- 6 pitted medjool dates OR 2 tablespoons agave syrup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or you could try a nut-based oil)
- pinch of sea salt
- Put the cashews and dates in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for at least an hour. Drain from the water and rinse (particularly if you've used salted cashews). You can make this without this soaking process, but the end result will be a little more grainy.
- In a food processor or blender, process together the cashews, dates, vanilla, oil and salt. Make sure it's completely combined. Add a trickle of water with the motor running until the mixture is totally smooth and creamy. Set aside for at least 15 minutes for it to set, or put in the fridge for later.
- This lasts in an airtight container in the fridge for at least a couple of months (I've had some in there for longer and it's still going).