The Chinese five spice powder gives these a really different and exotic flavour. If you're not feeling adventurous, just replace it with cinnamon, but I urge you to give it a go...at least once!
Now, a little disclaimer. Just because these are 'everything free' doesn't make them health food! These are incredibly high calorie munchies and should be eaten in moderation....if your self control is stronger than your taste buds!
- 3 eggs
- 200g / 7oz (1 1/3 cups) coconut sugar (or rapadura sugar)
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out (or 1 teaspoon vanilla paste)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 200g (7oz) dark 70% cocoa chocolate (preferably naturally sweetened)
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350F).
- Line a 20 x 20cm (8 x 8 inch) square baking tin with baking paper.
- Put the eggs and sugar into the bowl of your mix master/kitchen aid. Beat until smooth and creamy and light in colour (at least 5 minutes). Add the vanilla seeds or paste and beat until mixed through.
- Set aside 50g /1.8oz (1/4 of the total) of the chocolate and cut it into small chunks.
- Put the remaining 150g of the chocolate, along with the coconut oil, into a heatproof bowl and place on top of a saucepan with a little water in the bottom. Place saucepan over medium heat and wait for the resulting steam to heat the chocolate and oil until completely melted. Stir occasionally.
- Poor the melted chocolate mixture into the egg/sugar mixture and beat until completely blended.
- In a small bowl, mix the almond meal and five spice powder. Gently fold this, and the 50g of reserved chopped chocolate, into the wet mix with a large spoon or spatula.
- Pour the Brownie mix into the lined baking tin and bake for 18-20 mins, until the top of the Brownies are just firm. The top with crack and peel a little.
- Cool a little and cut with a large knife that has been dipped in very warm water, to stop the Brownies from sticking to the knife.
- These are great served warm, and just as great two days later...if they last that long!!